By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Portál s dvojicí lvu - Brno, Czech Republic
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member puczmeloun
N 49° 11.652 E 016° 36.334
33U E 616975 N 5450285
Quick Description: Portal with two lions
Location: Jihomoravský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 4/8/2014 8:40:52 AM
Waymark Code: WMKFQA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 27

Long Description:
CS:
Portál s dvojicí lvu, který rámuje pruchod z areálu radnice do Husovy ulice, sem byl premísten v roce 1900 z námestí Svobofy z barokního domu, na jehož míste dnes stojí známý dum U Ctyr mamlasu.

EN:
Portal with two lions, which is located at passage from area of New Town Hall to Husova street, was moved here in 1900 from Svobody square from baroqu house, during the rebuilding of city centre.

Zdroj/Source: Kniha/Book "Brnenské malickosti"

"New Town Hall
The complex of buildings which make up the New Town Hall came into being over time, from the beginning of the 13th century to the end of the 18th century. The oldest part is the Cloister, part of the Dominican monastery, built in the first half of the 13th century. From the year 1297, this part of the monastery served for the meetings of regional court and parliament. In the middle of the 17th century, when Brno became the capital of Moravia, it was also the seat of the royal tribunal. The complex began to function as the New Town Hall after the reconstruction in the years 1934–1935, when it became the seat of supreme city bodies. Even today, the seat of Brno Municipal Council, and of the Mayor and his deputies is here. There are several things worth seeing in the New Town Hall. Above all, we should mention the Renaissance stairs in the first patio. Furthermore, there are several portals, which were parts of older houses, which have been demolished today. Another remarkable point of interest is the fountain with the grate, decorated with representations of the 12 months. The New Town Hall has two main entrance portals with figurative balcony parapets, which were created in the Baroque reconstruction of the area, carried out by Moric Grimm in the years 1726-1729. Three fields of sun dials in the first patio date back to the year 1728, its corresponding portals from the years 1692-1694 and 1733. The second patio portals were removed from the demolished house, located in Freedom Square´(Námestí Svobody). Only fragments remain from the original decoration of the Cloister. The fresco of the Crucifixion dates from the turn of the 14th century, and the fresco with the circular medallions motif is from the end of the 15th century."

Source: (visit link)
Type of material of the door: Other

Functional door?: Yes

Location of this door/way: On public property

Is it accessable only by paid admission": No

Style: Other

Address or physical location:
Dominikánské nám. 1 Brno Czech Republic


Visit Instructions:
  • At least one photo is required.
  • A VISITED only remark, will be deleted.
  • Search for...
    Geocaching.com Google Map
    Google Maps
    MapQuest
    Bing Maps
    Trails.com Maps
    Nearest Waymarks
    Nearest Doorways of the World
    Nearest Geocaches
    Nearest Benchmarks
    Nearest Hotels
    Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
    Recent Visits/Logs:
    Date Logged Log User Rating  
    Noe1 visited Portál s dvojicí lvu - Brno, Czech Republic 2/6/2015 Noe1 visited it
    Arne1 visited Portál s dvojicí lvu - Brno, Czech Republic 5/17/2014 Arne1 visited it
    Olii05 visited Portál s dvojicí lvu - Brno, Czech Republic 4/9/2014 Olii05 visited it

    View all visits/logs