By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Caracas Bay Quarantine Building
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kJfishman
N 12° 04.098 W 068° 51.671
19P E 515107 N 1334109
Quick Description: An old Quarantine Building overlooking Caracas Bay in Curacao. It was built in 1883 and designed to isolate seafarers who potentially suffered from yellow fever.
Location: Curaçao
Date Posted: 1/17/2014 2:25:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMJYKV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Torgut
Views: 8

Long Description:
We think this old building that was part of historic Fort Beekenburg.an 18th century Dutch fort.

"I believe we were told it was used like a sanitarium. Looked for more information but didn't come up with anything.

Fort Beekenburg is an 18th century Dutch fort located on a rocky outcrop by Caracas Bay, a small bay on the southeastern side of the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao. It is one of the best-preserved forts on the island, and proved its service several times during multiple skirmishes with the English in the earlier part of the 19th century.

The fort was built in 1703 to protect the entrance to Spanish Water Bay, another nearby inlet. Its main focal point is a round tower built out of stones originally brought over from the Netherlands as ballast. The tower's armament consisted of 6 8-pound and 4 12-pound cannons, while a nearby battery -- now destroyed -- was armed with a pair of 12-pound and 2 18-pounds cannons.

The fort laid mostly unused during its first 100 years except for sporadic events: it would frequently ward off small attacks from English warships, French buccaneers and the occasional pirates.

In 1800, however, the island of Curacao was taken over by the English and the fort was passed over to a detachment of English Marines from the corvette "Nimrod". Both the island and the fort were returned to the Dutch in 1803, but in 1805 a new war with the English ensued: the fort successfully repelled two naval attacks that year.

In 1807, the island of Cuaraco surrendered to the English once again. This time, however, the Dutch commander refused to turn the fort over to the English: he was eventually overpowered by his own men who then opened the gates and deserted. The island quickly returned to Dutch hands once again a few years later, at which point the fort served as a Dutch military outpost until the 1850’s.

Between 1927 and 2005 the fort was off-limits to visitors as its surrounding terrain was owned by an Oil Company. It is now freely accessible to all: one can climb all the way to the top of the tower and see several remaining cannons, as well as fantastic views across the bay towards both land and sea. " Source (visit link)
Visit Instructions:
Please provide a photo of you and/or your GPS at the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Raven visited Caracas Bay Quarantine Building 12/26/2013 Raven visited it

View all visits/logs