By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Camp Douglas - Elevation 4,904 feet
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 40° 45.973 W 111° 50.053
12T E 429593 N 4513140
Quick Description: The elevation is on an historical marker, imbedded in the outside wall of the Officers Club, which stands near the northern end of the historic Fort Douglas, just north of Stilwell Field, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 10/14/2013 12:27:05 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ9EY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 0

Long Description:

The etched stone tablet plaque on an outside wall of the Fort Douglas Officers Club reads:


CAMP DOUGLAS

ESTABLISHED


OCTOBER 1862 BY

GENERAL P.E. CONNOR

COMDC 2ND AND 3RD CAL VOL.

REBUILT

IN 1875 AND 1876 BY THE

14TH U S INFANTRY.

COL JOHN. E. SMITH COMPC

LON. 111° 50' 18.02 WEST

LAT. 40° 45' 47.47 NORTH

ALT. 4904 FEET



WATSON BRO S.L.CITY

"With the onset of the Civil War, President Lincoln called all regular troops from frontier duty to fight against the South, leaving the Overland Mail Route vulnerable to Indian attacks. Accordingly, he appointed Colonel Patrick E. Connor to the Third California Volunteer Infantry and directed him to establish a post near Salt Lake City in order to protect the mail route while keeping an eye on the Mormons. He established Camp Douglas in October 1862, naming it after the late Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois. Connor felt that it was his duty to bring non-Mormons into the territory and so actively encouraged his men to prospect for precious metals. Connor and his men subsequently played a significant role in the beginning of mining in Utah. They also participated in several punitive missions against American Indians including the Bear River Massacre in 1863.

In 1866, the volunteers were discharged and the regulars of the 18th Infantry replaced them. Competent stone barracks, chapel, and administrative buildings were constructed and the post became one of the most picturesque and sought after assignments on the frontier. Three years later, the completion of the transcontinental railroad perpetuated rapid deployment of the local troops. Fort Douglas units participated in the northern plains campaigns of the 1870s and in the Sioux War of 1890. One of the most notable Fort Douglas units was the 24th Infantry, composed of African-American soldiers and white officers. They fought courageously in Cuba, charging up San Juan Hill during the Spanish-American War in 1898.

In 1902, the 12th Infantry completed three years of duty in the Philippines and returned to Fort Douglas. For entertainment, the men filled dance halls, breweries, parks, and often paid visits to the gambling halls, shooting galleries, saloons, and houses of prostitution in the red light district. The regimental band performed Sunday afternoon concerts, bringing civilians to the fort. Consequently, many of the officers married Salt Lake girls and either took them away to other posts or settled in the city to raise their families.

Fort Douglas expanded quickly during World War I, training thousands of recruits and establishing a German prisoner of war camp. Throughout the war, it's prison held almost nine hundred dissidents. Also, the 38th Infantry, nicknamed "Rock of the Marne" for stopping a German offensive, arrived in 1922.

In January of 1942 as a result of the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, the Ninth Service Command headquarters, which directed military operations west of the Rockies, was transferred from Presidio in San Francisco to Fort Douglas. Salt Lake City scrambled in order to house the 150 families of the Ninth Service Command's incoming troops. Also during this time Fort Douglas coordinated all material to be sent to the Pacific war. Following World War II, the army announced that Fort Douglas was surplus and some of its land was turned over to the University of Utah as well as other agencies. The Korean War briefly delayed dismantlement, but the flag was finally lowered on June 25, 1967. The army retained only some historic buildings and water rights in Red Butte Canyon.

Fort Douglas was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and earned the designation of a National Historic Landmark in 1975. Congress closed Fort Douglas as a military facility in 1989. Transfer of Fort Douglas to the University of Utah started two years later and was completed in 1993, leaving only the memories of the more than 50,000 military personnel that had been stationed in Salt Lake City." SOURCE

Location: Fort Douglas

Posted Elevation: 4,904 feet

GPSR Elevation: 4,911 feet

Visit Instructions:
Photos are not required, but they are encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Elevation Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
run26.2 visited Camp Douglas - Elevation 4,904 feet 3/24/2014 run26.2 visited it
Chasing Blue Sky visited Camp Douglas - Elevation 4,904 feet 4/30/2013 Chasing Blue Sky visited it

View all visits/logs