By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kurtz's Mill Covered Bridge - Lancaster, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 40° 00.912 W 076° 16.940
18T E 390563 N 4430231
Quick Description: The bridge's deck is made from oak planks with a single span, and wooden, double burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The bridge is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 9/4/2013 7:57:31 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ0CC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 4

Long Description:

The bridge was built in 1876 by W. W. Upp over the Conestoga River. In 1972, it was damaged by the floodwaters caused by Hurricane Agnes. It was repaired by David Esh in 1975 and moved to its present location in the Lancaster County Park over Mill Creek, a tributary of the Conestoga River.

That flood in the early 70's picked up the bridge and moved it down stream. Once they collected all the pieces and parts, it was moved a total of 15 miles away where it still sits today. They installed new abutments and the rest was added. This is probably why this is the only bridge not on the NRHP even though it was built in the 1800s. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-03.

The bridge is a typical example of a Lancaster truss bridges, like the other covered spans. Its length is 90 feet and it is entirely made of wood, oak for the floor planks.

Located at this site is an historical marker which reads

COUNTY PARK COVERED BRIDGE
Originally Built 1876 and Spanned the Conestoga
Creek Near Hinkletown Damaged in June 22, 1972
Flood and Relocated to This Site in 1974. Rebuilt
And Opened for Public Use 1975.

Below this is a list of names like commissioners, engineers and stiff like that who used the public monies to pay for the extra dough it cost to inscribe their name in this marker.

On page 110 in Pennsylvania's Covered Bridges By Fred J. Moll there is a nice picture of the bridge being moved on a trailer. From the book: Kurtz's Mill Bridge was repaired, loaded on a flatbed trailer, and hauled 20 miles away to Lancaster's Central Park in West Lampeter Township. David Esh reconstructed the bridge in the park over Mill Creek in 1974. The total cost of the reconstruction and relocation was about $75,000. The covered bridge now serves park traffic. SOURCE

Type: Plank Bridge

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Plank Roads
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
urpickle visited Kurtz's Mill Covered Bridge - Lancaster, PA 10/2/2013 urpickle visited it