By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Pinetown Bushong's Mill Covered Bridge - Manheim, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 40° 06.342 W 076° 14.897
18T E 393609 N 4440235
Quick Description: Yet another fantastic, wooden planked, red covered bridge in Lancaster County. All of these bridges are virtually identical. This one was almost washed away in Tropical Storm Lee in 2011 but in 2013 it was repaired down to the wooden frame & rebuilt.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 9/3/2013 6:03:04 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ04Z
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:

The Pinetown Covered Bridge has carried traffic across the Conestoga River with its wooden floor for nearly a century and a half. But the wooden structure has sat idle and barricaded since flooding caused by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee closed it with a rude shove downstream in September 2011. The force of the water shifted the bridge on its foundation and skewed its rectangular openings into parallelograms. Now, with funding and permits finally in hand, the county has the 1867 bridge on the fast track back to service connecting Manheim and Upper Leacock townships. It is expected to reopen by late summer.

Another typical Lancaster County bridge built in the later half of the 19th century. The bridge spans the Conestoga River in Lancaster County, PA, U.S. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Conestoga #6 Bridge.

It was hard to get good pictures as it is a single lane, & not much parking except in a cornfield and inside the bridge, there is no pedestrian walkways. The bridge was built in 1867 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $4,500. In 1972 it was destroyed as a result of flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes. Due to a tremendous response of area residents who signed a petition for its reconstruction, it was among the first covered bridges to be restored after Agnes. In the spring of 1973, the bridge was rebuilt by the nearby Amish. To prevent damage due to future flooding, they raised the bridge to 17.5 feet (5.3 m) above the average water line. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003527.

The bridge is reputed to be haunted by a young Amish girl. Boo!

Type: Plank Bridge

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Plank Roads
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.