By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Pat's Corner - Folsom, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 36.124 W 074° 50.555
18S E 513514 N 4383603
Quick Description: Today this corner serves the needs of individuals selling their wares out of their trucks with picnic tables and stacked cardboard boxes but over a century ago, this site was the home of an important building which served the community until 1970.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 2/22/2013 7:29:59 PM
Waymark Code: WMGEJ2
Views: 3

Long Description:

I first saw this sign in 2010 while traveling to ocean City, NJ for a day at the beach. This route is considered the back way as it does not involve the Atlantic City Expressway. This road in particular is the most back woods of all the roads leading to the shore. The sign is located in Atlantic County, at an intersection on the left or northeast side of the road if traveling southeast along Mays landing Road just past the Route 54/12th Street toward the Black Horse Pike/Route 322. The sign is in good shape save for a rusty lower bolt. The marker reads:

Historical Society

FOLSOM

PAT'S CORNER

________________

Property purchased by Edward Schmickel
the area's first postmaster, in 1886,
from Henry Alborn. The building
was used as a post office, social hall,
meeting hall and general store.
In 1895 it was sold to Herman Menger
and remained a community center
until 1922. It was purchased by Mr. & Mrs.
Pat De Salvo in 1936, and operated as a
restaurant and bar until it was destroyed
by fire in 1970.

Marker Name: Pat's Corner

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
Historical Society

FOLSOM

PAT'S CORNER

________________

Property purchased by Edward Schmickel
the area's first postmaster, in 1886,
from Henry Alborn. The building
was used as a post office, social hall,
meeting hall and general store.
In 1895 it was sold to Herman Menger
and remained a community center
until 1922. It was purchased by Mr. & Mrs.
Pat De Salvo in 1936, and operated as a
restaurant and bar until it was destroyed
by fire in 1970.



Dedication Date: 1/1/2010

City: Folsom

County: Atlantic

Group responsible for placement: Folsom Historical Society

Web Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.