By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Battle of Linhas de Elvas - Elvas, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Torgut
N 38° 53.452 W 007° 10.617
29S E 658109 N 4306245
Quick Description: The battle of Linhas de Elvas, or, in English, the battle of the Lines of Elvas took place during the Restauration War, opposing Portugal to what is now Spain.
Location: Portalegre, Portugal
Date Posted: 12/12/2012 2:41:05 AM
Waymark Code: WMFXB6
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member briansnat
Views: 4

Long Description:
In 1580 the Portuguese king Dom Sebastião died in battle in Africa, leaving no heirs. As consequence of the dinastical crisis, the king of Castilla, which later became Spain, took over the Portuguese crown. But in 1640 the Portuguese had enough of foreign ruling and threw the Castillian governor through one of the windows of his palace, in Lisbon.

That was the beginning of the longest war opposing the two countries. It was still going on in 1659 and that's when this battle took place.

The following text was taken from wikipedia, but I advice a visit to the link for further information (visit link)

"In 1658 a Spanish army commanded by D. Luis de Haro, was camped in the frontier of the Caia River, with 14,000 infantry, 3,500 cavalry and several pieces of artillery. The preparation of the siege of the Portuguese city of Elvas took several days, which the Portuguese used to prepare the defense. De Haro distributed his troops in trenches, giving orders to kill everyone that approached the city. The Spaniards initially bombarded the city, causing panic and casualties among the civil population while the black death claimed 300 a day. The only way the situation could turn in favour of the Portuguese was with the help of a relief army. Queen-Mother Luisa de Guzman decided to call for António Luís de Meneses, Count of Cantanhede, and gave him the command of all Portuguese troops in Alentejo. She also transferred to the same theatre of operations Sancho Manoel de Vilhena, who assumed the post of "Field-Marshall".

The Count of Cantanhede, although having extremely poor logistical conditions, managed to gather an army in Estremoz. He organized recruitments in Viseu and in the Madeira islands and united the garrisons of Borba, Juromenha, Campo Maior, Vila Viçosa, Monforte and Arronches. The gathered army had 8,000 infantry, 2,500 cavalry and seven cannons. The Portuguese left Estremoz and occupied the hill of Assomada, where they could see the city of Elvas and the enemy lines.

On 17 January, around 8 o'clock in the morning, the Portuguese attacked near the village of Murtais. The battle was undecided in the initial stages, as the Spanish were valiantly defending their lines, but after some time the armies of Cantanhede managed to break the lines, and the Spanish fled in panic.[10]

Spanish casualties were heavy. Of the 17,500 men commanded by D. Luis de Haro, only 5,000 infantry and 1,300 cavalry managed to reach Badajoz.

After the success in the battle the Count of Cantanhede received among several honours, the title of Marquis of Marialva on 11 June 1661.

A commemorative monument was placed on the site of the battlefield."
Name of Battle:
Batalha das Linhas de Elvas


Name of War: Guerra da Restauração

Date(s) of Battle (Beginning): 1/14/1659

Entrance Fee: Not Listed

Parking: Not Listed

Date of Battle (End): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post a photo of you and/or your GPS in front of a sign or marker posted at the site of the battle.

In addition it is encouraged to take a few photos two of the surrounding area and interesting features at the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Battlefields
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.