By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

McDonald Brothers Bank - Fort Scott, Ks
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.497 W 094° 42.377
15S E 349865 N 4189614
Quick Description: McDonald Hall housed the McDonald Brothers Bank in the early twentieth century. This building is a two story red brick building located at 6 South Main in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/10/2012 1:48:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMFX0Y
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member the federation
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the National Register Application:
(visit link)

"McDonald Hall, ca. 1865, ca. 1910, Commercial style. Inventory: 011-1830-00057 Status: contributing.

Description: Reportedly, this is a section of McDonald Hall with a brick facade constructed in the early twentieth century. It is a rectangular commercial building with a recessed central entrance. There are four windows on the second floor with smooth-cut stone sills and flat brick lintels. Windows are 111 double-hung sashes. There is an ornamental brick belt course and slightly projecting ornamental brick eave cornice. There are non-historic display windows and a metal entrance door and a shed-roofed awning supported on posts.

History: This was the second building constructed in Fort Scott for B. P. McDonald. The building housed a bank with a hall on the second floor. Alex and B. P. McDonald organized the McDonald Brothers Bank in 1863 and then B. P. became president of the First National Bank in 1871. In 1870 the National Theater presented plays in the hall for six weeks. In 1873 the Congregational Church met in the hall while they were building a new brick church. According to William Calhoun, McDonald's Hall was built by Alex McDonald who moved his bank to the southern end of the building. Other early tenants were A. H. Campbell, grocery, J. S. Redfield, druggist, as well as Emmert Brothers and Weil Brothers, clothiers. The brick facade to the north was added in the early twentieth century. According to the 1909 city directory, the Glaze & Lewis Department Store occupied this storefront.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."

I didn't find any information on the McDonald Brothers Bank.
Address:
6 S. Main Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


Year: 1865

Website: [Web Link]

Current Use of Building: Antique Store

Visit Instructions:
Please give your impression about the bank and/or it's architecture. Also please post another photo of the building.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Converted Bank Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.