By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Buccleuch Mansion, New Brunswick, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member 79scouts
N 40° 30.361 W 074° 27.443
18T E 545974 N 4484064
Quick Description: Buccleuch Mansion is on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 6/22/2012 8:56:16 PM
Waymark Code: WMEPEX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Jersey Blue Chapter of the DAR has custodial stewardship of the historic Buccleuch Mansion in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The building was occupied by the British during the Revolution and George Washington slept here.

The building has suffered some damage over the years and the front staircase is currently in disrepair.

The marker is in an unusual location. It is at the back of the house. The front of the house is some distance from George Street and placing the marker there would make it less likely to be seen. The house is in a park and a narrow car path leads you to the house. On this path is where the marker may be found. There are some lovely gardens near the sign as well.
Marker Name: Buccleuch Mansion

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
Buccleuch Mansion was built circa 1735-1739 by Anthony White for his bride Elizabeth, daughter of New Jersey Royal Govenor Lewis Morris. Their son, Anthony Walton White, who was born and raised here, was an aide-de-camp to George Washington and an army officer. The Mansion was occupied by British officers and the Enniskillen Guards of Ireland (now Northern Ireland) during the Revolutionary War and still shows saber and musket marks on its floors and banisters. Many dignitaries visited the Mansion including General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. Bought in 1821 by Colonel Joseph Warren Scott, it was home to his extended family for the next 90 years. He renamed the estate, Buccleuch in honor of his Scottish lineage. The Mansion and surrounding park lands were given by the last owner, Anthony Dey, in 1911, to the City of New Brunswick to honor is grandfather, Colonel Scott. The Jersey Blue Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution has been its caretaker since 1914. It is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places where it is referrenced as the White House Farm. This Historic Marker is a gift to the people of New Brunswick from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2010.


Dedication Date: 1/1/2010

City: New Brunswick

County: Middlesex

Group responsible for placement: Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
dollarbell visited Buccleuch Mansion, New Brunswick, NJ 8/13/2012 dollarbell visited it