By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Graffiti House at Brandy Station
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member La de Boheme
N 38° 30.156 W 077° 53.450
18S E 247910 N 4265542
Quick Description: The Graffiti House is named for the signatures, messages, and drawings that soldiers scrawled on the walls during the Civil War.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 4/10/2012 7:27:02 PM
Waymark Code: WME6TG
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 5

Long Description:
A two-story frame house built in the 1850s was used as a field hospital following the Battle of Kelly's Ford and the Battle of Brandy Station* in 1863 in Culpeper County, Virginia. The building sat next to the railroad tracks, so it was an ideal location for transporting the seriously wounded Confederate soldiers and Union POWs to other hospitals and/or prisons by train. The priority of the rails was to move troops and supplies, so often the wounded would have to wait for an available train. The waiting soldiers would use charcoal out of the fireplace and write their names, leave messages, draw pictures, and scrawl other graffiti on the walls.

The house was used again as Union headquarters during the winter encampment of 1863-1864.

After the Civil War, the house changed hands at least 12 times and the walls were covered and painted over. In 1993, during renovation to convert the property for commercial use, the graffiti was discovered. Thus, this old house got its name as the Graffiti House.

The Brandy Station Foundation bought the house in 2003 and restored it. They have done extensive research and continue to do so on the names and places found on the walls. The Graffiti House also serves as the Visitor Center for the Brandy Station Battlefield and other Civil War Discovery Trail sites in Culpeper County. Because it is run by volunteers, its hours are limited to Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday holidays from 11 AM to 4 PM.

*Related waymarks:

References: On-site information and oral history from BSF volunteers at Graffiti House.

See also: BRANDY STATION FOUNDATION: The Graffiti House

Type of site: Hospital

Address:
19484 Brandy Road
Brandy Station, VA USA
22714


Phone Number: 540-727-7718

Admission Charged: No Charge

Website: [Web Link]

Driving Directions:
The Graffiti House is located just off Route 15/29, between Warrenton and Culpeper, about 5 miles west of the Rappahanock River. Upon reaching Brandy Station on Route 15/29, turn south on Alanthus Road. Go approximately 200 yards to the intersection with Brandy Road and turn left. Proceed straight on Brandy Road to the Graffiti House, located next to the old church on the right side of the road.


Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photo of a Civil War related item or scene and post one Civil War Discovery you learned while visiting the waymark. The photo should have the coordinates of where it was taken if significantly different from the waymark's coordinates.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil War Discovery Trail Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.