By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

National Bank of Coatesville Building - Coatesville, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 59.017 W 075° 49.269
18S E 429889 N 4426261
Quick Description: The Lincoln Highway passes through this Coatesville Historic District and what better way to typify the highway and this beautiful, historic town then to highlight one of the eye-popping, individually-listed NRHP sites.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 11/5/2011 6:03:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMD16J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team Farkle 7
Views: 2

Long Description:

Overlooking the Lincoln Highway, at the center of town & this historic district is this beautiful, former bank, and current apartment complex, NRHP site. The top of the 4-story building is adorned with the most beautiful town clock.

The vestiges of its former use are still evident with the night deposit chute, the rich detail typical of turn of the century banks and of course the bank name, still appearing over the front entrance. Typical of early 20th century banks are rich, opulent detail to the point of being ostentatious and by today's standards, wasteful. Still, it is a beautiful site and worthy of its current NRHP status. The City of Coatesville has provided some beautiful narratives and pictures for its NRHP sites and two historic district. The narrative for this site reads:

In 1889 a group of men rallied together for the purpose of organizing a new community bank and after receiving their charter, the National Bank of Coatesville opened for business on March 13, 1889 at 204 East Lincoln Highway. By 1907, the National Bank of Coatesville had grown so significantly that a larger building was constructed and completed in 1909.

This brick and limestone, four story, three bay building was of eclectic architecture. One of its most interesting features was the clock tower which over the years faithfully informed thousands of people of the time. In 1920, care of the clock was placed in the hands of Charles Trunk, a local jeweler. His son, Calvin, eventually assumed his responsibilities. The Trunks wound the clock daily with a crank until it was converted to electricity in 1946. Some interesting features of this building are the Greek Key, the Garlands of Fruit and the Lions Heads. Watson and Huckel were the architects and the building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. SOURCE

I was most taken by the clock and its elaborate uniqueness. This round-faced clock is mounted on a mini tower high above the left side of this building. Formerly called The National Bank of Coatesville, this building has been converted into the Clock Tower apartments. The clock is a landmark for this small but historic Lincoln Highway town. The clock is mounted on a four sided tower. There are four total clock, one for each side. The clock has Roman numerals and is gilded, The clock is set into the most ornate and ostentatious-looking building completely surrounded by frieze work, dentils, arches and decorative bricks. The clock is approximately fifty feet off of the ground. The building is located at 235 East Lincoln Highway.

Americana: Other Icon

Significant Interest: Other Icon

Web Site Address: [Web Link]

Address of Icon:
235 East Lincoln Highway
Coatesville, PA USA
19320


Visit Instructions:
Tell us a bit about your experience and add a picture or two to the gallery.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lincoln Highway
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.