By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Cross Keys School
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member 4wheelin_fool
N 39° 53.415 W 074° 49.596
18S E 514825 N 4415590
Quick Description: This marker indicates the present location of the Cross Keys School.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 7/28/2011 9:57:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMC5JH
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 12

Long Description:
The school was actually moved here in early 1986, rather than 1976 as indicated on the sign. The information at the current site also conflicts with the plaque at the original location on Dixontown road, which indicates an older date that it was built.

It is currently in front of the Medford Memorial Middle School, and the interior is restored to show the period that it was built. It is not open to the public, but is still used as a classroom to teach history at times.

The name refers to the entire area that it was located, in between the intersection of Jackson and Stokes road, and Dixontown and Stokes Road. Farmer and charcoal producer, Samuel Thackara, hired his brother-in-law, Lester Gager, to build the one-room Cross Keys School. Lumber for the 26-foot deep by 22-foot wide building cost $9.00. For more than a century Cross Keys School was located at the corner of Dixontown and Stokes Roads.

Several generations of Gager children knew the Cross Keys School as the "Knowledge Box." In 1912 the salary of Sallie Davis, their favorite teacher, was $35 per month. When the school was closed in 1920s, the students went to the new Milton H. Allen School.

Before McDonald's bought the property in 1986, the structure had been used as a home, a store and a produce stand. When the public showed strong interest in saving it, the Township had the little school moved to Mill Street. By then the windows were boarded up and it had no roof.
Marker Name: Cross Keys School #62

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
Built by Lester Gager in 1857 at the corner of Dixontown Road, the school was moved here by the township in 1976. Former students called it the “Knowledge Box”.


Dedication Date: 1/1/1986

City: Medford, NJ

County: Burlington

Group responsible for placement: Not listed

Web Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
trowel32 visited Cross Keys School 8/6/2011 trowel32 visited it