By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

World War I Doughboy - New Philadelphia, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
N 40° 29.399 W 081° 26.715
17T E 462266 N 4482238
Quick Description: This is one of E. M. Viquesney's famous doughboy statues, sponsored here by the American Legion in 1929. It is located in front of the Tuscarawas County Courthouse which was built in 1882 in the heart of New Philadelphia, Ohio.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 7/5/2011 6:05:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMBYMQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 3

Long Description:


This Viquesney doughboy depicts a soldier standing with a grenade in his upright right hand and a rifle in his lowered left hand, walking amid barbed wire. It is mounted on a rough hewn stone base bearing a bronze dedication plaque and separate bronze American Legion seal above the plaque.



IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN AND WOMEN
OF TUSCARAWAS COUNTY
WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE WORLD WAR

ERECTED 1929


From: Doughboy Searcher

"Dedicated November 11, 1929 under the sponsorship of the New Philadelphia American Legion post in a celebration including a parade, drum and bugle corps, the high school band, fireworks, appropriate dedicatory remarks Refreshments were served afterwards the dedication and a large banquet was held at the First Presbyterian Church that evening."

"The Doughboy’s bayonet was lost at some point, but has been replaced, and the sculpture is in relatively good condition in comparison to other Doughboys around the country."



TUSCARAWAS COUNTY COURTHOUSE
New Philadelphia, Ohio

Designed by Thomas Boyd and built by T.B. Townsend in 1882 this is the third courthouse building to occupy this same location originally planned and donated by David Knisely, the founder and designer of the city of New Philadelphia. The building retains the cornerstone laid in 1818.

From the text of the Historic Marker 3-79:

"When David Knisely, the founder of New Philadelphia, first arrived in the Tuscarawas Valley on August 27, 1803, he found a sparsely populated, pristine wilderness. Five years later the state legislature approved a bill organizing Tuscarawas County effective March 15, 1808. Shortly thereafter, New Philadelphia was chosen as the county seat, and on April 16, 1808, the first commissioners met at Leininger's tavern. By August, the tavern proved to be an inappropriate location for the county's official business, and the commissioners approved the construction of a two-story, combination jail and county office building on land donated by John Knisely on the northeast corner of the square. By 1818 a new, larger brick courthouse was authorized by the commissioners. This building was occupied in 1825 and served as the courthouse until 1882 when the present structure was approved. Occupied in 1888, the building continues to be the center of the county's business. The beautiful, state-of-the-art annex was dedicated on October 27, 1990."

According to the official city web site, New Philadelphia was founded in 1804 by John Knisely from Pennsylvania who had become good friends with David Zeisberger of the nearby Schoenbrunn mission begun by the Moravians in 1722 working among the local native population. Knisley returned to his home, sold everything and moved his family, along with 33 pioneers who accompanied him to this frontier. He purchased the land that is now the city of New Philadelphia and began careful and deliberate planning for a great city. New Philadelphia was selected as the county seat for the newly formed county of Tuscarawas in 1807, and was officially incorporated in 1833.

There are several war memorials and monuments here, the largest being one erected for the veterans of the U.S. Civil War. The building is capped by a large dome with a four-faced clock. It has been honored with a "Historic Marker" designation by the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association.

Date the Monument or Memorial was built or dedicated: 11/11/1929

Private or Public Monument?: Private

Name of the Private Organization or Government Entity that built this Monument: American Legion

Geographic Region where the Monument is located: North America

Website for this Monument: [Web Link]

Physical Address of Monument:
Courthouse Sq.
New Philadelphia, OH United States


Rate this waymark:

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Visit Instructions:
New logs to this waymark must contain at least one photo of the monument with your GPS in the shot as proof of your visit. No old vacation photos please. You must have taken a picture while seeking this waymark. Logs that don't meet the photo requirement will be archived.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World War I Memorials and Monuments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.