By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

New Market Battlefield State Historical Park and Hall of Valor Museum: The Shirley House
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member La de Boheme
N 38° 38.963 W 078° 40.688
17S E 702055 N 4280427
Quick Description: Once the home of a Confederate veteran, the Shirley House is now headquarters of the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 5/20/2011 3:08:59 PM
Waymark Code: WMBGRE
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Shirley family were longtime residents in Shenandoah County, Virginia. They had owned a 153-acre farm since the late 1700s. In the spring of 1864, Union Gen. U. S. Grant sent Maj. Gen Franz Sigel with 10,000 troops into the Shenandoah Valley to cut off railroad supply lines to the Confederate army and secure the strategic Valley Pike. When the Confederates learned of the advance, Gen. John Breckinridge led 4500 troops to meet them. The Cadet Corps at the Virginia Military Institute were ordered into action and marched to reinforce Breckinridge. The armies met at the Battle of New MarketClick for related waymark to open in new window in May and the Shirleys saw both Federal and Confederate forces cross through their property.

After the War, Christian Shirley, who had joined the 136th VA Militia in 1861, returned to his home in New Market. In 1875, the house burned down and he rebuilt the current brick building. Reunions of Confederate veterans Shirley had served with during the Civil War were often held at the Shirley house.

When Shirley's son died in 1967, the house was sold to a couple who operated a cavalry museum for 10 years. In 2001, the house was bought by the Virginia Military Institute and made a part of the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park and the Hall of Valor Civil War MuseumClick for CWDT link to open in new window. It was leased to the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields FoundationClick for SVBF link to open in new window to serve as its headquarters in 2003.

The Shirley House is on the road to the entrance of the park. The CWDT marker is found along the walkway behind the house near the outbuildings. Although the house is not open to the public, the grounds can be viewed.

Type of site: Historic Home

Address:
298 West Old Cross Road
New Market, VA USA
22844


Phone Number: 540.740.4545 / 888.689.4545

Admission Charged: No Charge

Website: [Web Link]

Driving Directions:
From I-81 take exit 264 at New Market; turn onto Route 211 west and immediately turn right to intersection with Route 305 (George Collins Parkway).


Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photo of a Civil War related item or scene and post one Civil War Discovery you learned while visiting the waymark. The photo should have the coordinates of where it was taken if significantly different from the waymark's coordinates.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil War Discovery Trail Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.