By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bergen County Court House - Hackensack, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Metro2
N 40° 52.734 W 074° 02.604
18T E 580599 N 4525754
Quick Description: This building is the fifth Courthouse since Hackensack became the seat of Bergen County in 1710.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 3/13/2011 9:45:02 PM
Waymark Code: WMAZ0E
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member briansnat
Views: 4

Long Description:
Located at the intersection of Court Street and Moore Street, the Bergen County Courthouse stands adjacent to a historic First Dutch Reformed Church.
The marker reads:
"BERGEN COUNTY
COURT HOUSE

James Riely Gordon (1863–1937), noted architect of public buildings used the Beaux Arts style to reflect the power and dignity of American institutions of government and justice. Ground was broken November 29, 1909 and the cornerstone laid on July 6, 1910. On February 1912 the building was completed at a cost of $1,617,000. The original design had space for County government and State and County courts. This is the fifth courthouse to stand in Hackensack since becoming the County Seat in 1710. This Classical granite and marble building with its dome modeled on the U.S. Capitol also incorporated other art forms—painting, sculpture and stained glass. On top of the dome’s cupola is the statue Enlightenment Giving Power by John Gelert. The marble statues on the walls flanking the main steps represent History and Law."


From this website (visit link) , we also learn that the building's annex was built in 1958. The Court House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The Green across the street from the Court House is the oldest public square in New Jersey.
Marker Name: Bergen County Court House

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
"BERGEN COUNTY COURT HOUSE James Riely Gordon (1863–1937), noted architect of public buildings used the Beaux Arts style to reflect the power and dignity of American institutions of government and justice. Ground was broken November 29, 1909 and the cornerstone laid on July 6, 1910. On February 1912 the building was completed at a cost of $1,617,000. The original design had space for County government and State and County courts. This is the fifth courthouse to stand in Hackensack since becoming the County Seat in 1710. This Classical granite and marble building with its dome modeled on the U.S. Capitol also incorporated other art forms—painting, sculpture and stained glass. On top of the dome’s cupola is the statue Enlightenment Giving Power by John Gelert. The marble statues on the walls flanking the main steps represent History and Law."


Dedication Date: 1/1/2006

City: Hackensack

County: Bergen

Group responsible for placement: County of bergen

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
79scouts visited Bergen County Court House  -  Hackensack, NJ 5/16/2012 79scouts visited it
accbd visited Bergen County Court House  -  Hackensack, NJ 4/6/2011 accbd visited it
Metro2 visited Bergen County Court House  -  Hackensack, NJ 9/1/2010 Metro2 visited it

View all visits/logs