By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Werk Plätzwiese - Plätzwiese
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member luzzi-reloaded
N 46° 38.495 E 012° 11.716
33T E 285351 N 5169157
Quick Description: Werk Plätzwiese - Plätzwiese
Location: Trentino–Alto Adige, Italy
Date Posted: 3/3/2011 1:06:26 AM
Waymark Code: WMAWB2
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member briansnat
Views: 5

Long Description:
[DE]

Das sogenannte Sperrwerk Plätzwiese (in der k.u.k. österreich-ungarischen Militärverwaltung war statt „Fort“ die Bezeichnung „Sperre“ oder „Werk“ gebräuchlich) befindet sich auf 2.040 Metern Höhe nahe der Dürrensteinhütte genau nördlich des Monte Cristallo Massivs und von diesem durch die Straße Cortina d’Ampezzo–Toblach getrennt. Aufgabe war, zusammen mit dem Werk Landro die Sicherung des Höllenstein/Stollatals und somit der Zugang zum Pustertal. Insbesondere, da die Ortschaft und der Kessel von Cortina d’Ampezzo von den Österreichern aufgegeben war und zunächst nur der Monte Piano den Durchbruch verhinderte. Es gehörte zu dem System der österreichischen Befestigungen an der damaligen Reichsgrenze zu Italien.
Werk Plätzwiese

Erbaut 1889/94 war es bei Ausbruch des Ersten Weltkrieges bereits veraltet und erfüllte dennoch seinen Zweck. Nur oberflächlich informiert über den wahren Zustand der österreichischen Befestigungen war das italienische Oberkommando nicht in der Lage, die Situation richtig einzuschätzen und belegte das alte Gemäuer (und nicht nur dieses) aus dem Valle Campedelle mit einer Unmenge an Granaten, mit – da die Geschütze bereits ausgebaut und in Feldstellungen untergebracht waren – nur äußerst mäßigem Ergebnis.

Zwei, gleich zu Anfang durchgeschlagene, 30,5-cm-Granaten hatten das Werk kampfunfähig gemacht, was aber auf der italienischen Seite nicht bemerkt wurde.

Einsatzmäßig war das Werk bei Kriegsausbruch mit zwei 15-cm-Panzermörsern und elf Maschinengewehren armiert. Zur mobilen Verteidigung befanden sich außerhalb des eigentlichen Werkes zwei 9-cm-Feldkanonen. Die Besatzung bestand aus einem Détachement des Landesschützenregiments Innichen Nr. III und Teilen des Festungsartilleriebataillons Nr. 1 (Wien).

In italienischer Zeit wurden von privater Hand einige Um- und Anbauten vorgenommen, die den Originalzustand nicht unerheblich verändert haben.

Heute befindet sich im Werk das Notstromaggregat der Dürrnsteinhütte. Es ist in Teilen begehbar (Privatbesitz), teilweise jedoch wegen Einsturzgefahr gesperrt.


[EN]

The so-called barrier Plätzwiese (in the imperial Austria-Hungary's military government was instead "Fort ", the term "lock"or "work" in use) is located at 2,040 meters near the Dürr stone hut just north of Monte Cristallo massif and from there through the streets Cortina d'Ampezzo Toblach separately. Task was, together with the work Landro securing the silver nitrate / Stollatals and thus access to the Tyrol. In particular, since the town and the boiler of Cortina d'Ampezzo was abandoned by the Austrians and the first thing on Monte Piano prevented the breakthrough. It belonged to the Austrian system of fortifications at the former frontier with Italy.

Built in 1889/94 was obsolete at the outbreak of the First World War and already fulfilled its purpose nonetheless. Only informed superficially about the true state of the Austrian fortifications, the Italian high command was not in a position to assess the situation correctly and took the old walls (and not only this) from the Valle Campe dent with a plethora of grenades, including - since the guns already removed and placed in field positions were - only very moderate income.

Two, at the outset by battered, 30.5-inch shells had made the work disabled, but this was not noticed on the Italian side.

Moderate use of the plant during the outbreak of war with two 15-inch mortars, tanks and eleven machine guns was reinforced. For mobile defense were outside of the actual work of two 9-inch field guns. The crew consisted of a detachment of the National Rifle Regiment Candido No. III and parts of the fortress artillery battalion No. 1 (Vienna).

In Italian time in private hands some renovations and additions have been made that have not changed significantly the original condition.

Today, the work of the emergency unit of Dürr stone hut. It is in part accessible (private property), but sometimes closed because of danger of collapse.
The year the "Fort" was constructed or started.: 1889-1894

Name of "Country" or "Nation" that constructed this "Fort": Austria

Was this "Fort" involved in any armed conflicts?: Yes it was

What was the primary purpose of this "Historic Fort"?: For protecting a travel or shipping route

Current condition: partially collapsed

This site is administered by ----: luzzi1971

If admission is charged -: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Open to the public?: Restricted or by appointment only.

Official or advertised web-page: [Web Link]

Link if this "Fort" is registered on your Countries/ State "Registry of Historical Sites or Buildi: [Web Link]

Link to web-site that best describes this "Historic Fort": Not listed

Visit Instructions:
  • Please post a photo if you visited this "Waymark" and describe your impressions of your visit or anything that might be of use to future visitors or viewers that hasn't been included in this 'Waymark'.
    A "Visited" only will be deleted A.S.A.P.
  • Search for...
    Geocaching.com Google Map
    Google Maps
    MapQuest
    Bing Maps
    Trails.com Maps
    Nearest Waymarks
    Nearest Historic Forts
    Nearest Geocaches
    Nearest Benchmarks
    Nearest Hotels
    Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
    Recent Visits/Logs:
    Date Logged Log User Rating  
    luzzi-reloaded visited Werk Plätzwiese - Plätzwiese 2/19/2012 luzzi-reloaded visited it