By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ballycarbery Castle - Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 51° 56.940 W 010° 15.522
29U E 413493 N 5756114
Quick Description: Ruins of a castle near Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland.
Location: Munster, Ireland
Date Posted: 2/4/2011 7:31:01 PM
Waymark Code: WMANPJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 12

Long Description:

From marker on site:

"Tradition attributes the building of this castle  to one Carbery O'Sea but it is more firmly associated with the MacCarthys.  Some form of residence appears to have stood on the site as early as 1398 when the death of Taghd MacCarthaigh there is recorded in the annals.  However, the existing ruins are later in date and are probably those of "the castle of Valenchyen called Ballycarborow" referred to in in a document of 1569.

It is noted as a McCarthy More castle in 1594, while other 16th century sources indicate that it was occupied by the O'Connells in their capacity as MacCarthy wardens, indeed one Morgan O'Connell of Ballycarbery became High Sheriff of Kerry during Elizabethan times.

Possession of the castle passed to Sir Valentine Browne following the death of Daniel MacCarthy More - the Earl of Clancar - in 1596 and the castle appears to have been slighted by parliament forces 1651-52, when Valentia Harbor was Valentia Harbour was being fortified.

The tower house itself is rectangular measuring 22.5 m x 12.9 m, while there is an attached tower at its north-east corner.  The entrance is at ground level and located in the north wall.

The ground floor of the building was divided into three transversely disposed chambers with average dimensions of 7.15m x 4.95m.  The first floor was accommodated beneath the pointed vaults of these chambers.  The first floor is also comprised of three chambers, while the second floor has two chambers - on large and one small.

The mural stair, which ascends from the entrance lobby to the second floor, is broken in places but was roofed with slabs and lit by three narrow loops set in lintelled, splayed embrasures.

The castle stands within the remains of a bawn, which originally enclosed an area measuring 31.6m north-south and 35m east-west.  At present only the west wall and the western portion of the north wall remain.

In the 18th century a large house was constructed abutting the north end of the west wall of the bawn.  The house was demolished in the early 20th century but is depicted in Daniel Grose's watercolours of the castle from the 19th century.  The house was the residence of the Lauder Family."


Accessibility: Partial access

Condition: Partly ruined

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
demon999 visited Ballycarbery Castle - Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland 3/5/2013 demon999 visited it
wiggem visited Ballycarbery Castle - Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland 10/7/2012 wiggem visited it
Eclectic Penguin visited Ballycarbery Castle - Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland 6/3/2012 Eclectic Penguin visited it
André de Montbard visited Ballycarbery Castle - Cahersiveen, County Kerry, Ireland 7/4/2011 André de Montbard visited it

View all visits/logs