By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Sweetwater Depot - Sweetwater, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member GT.US
N 35° 35.985 W 084° 27.736
16S E 729894 N 3942521
Quick Description: This civil war trails marker is located in a small park in Sweetwater TN.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 9/8/2010 8:57:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM9NB7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LSUMonica
Views: 8

Long Description:
Marker Text:

Settled in the 1820's Sweetwater flourished when the East Tennessee and Georgia railroad was constructed thorugh the town in 1852, Trains stopped and drew water from two large tanks supplied by the nearby creek, and a freight depot stood in the parking area to your right. Becasue of its strategic location, this small twon became an important supply center during the Civil War.

Initially a confederate garrison protected the facilites at Sweetwater. The situation changed during Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside's East Tennessee campaign when the 45th Ohio Mounted infantry arrived in September 1863 and occupied the town. Military control of the sweetwater valley seesawed from one side to the other that Autumn because of continous cavalry engagements.

Gen, James Longstreet made the town his headquarters and staging area for the campaign against Knoxville in November 1863. Sweetwater was then the Northernmost station held by the confederate army on the only remaining railroad in the region. Longstreets troops and artillary rode the cars from Chatanooga, joined with the calvary here, and prepared for the attack on Knoxville. When federal troops reinforced Burnside, however, Longstreet withdrew.

Confederate attempts to occupy Sweetwater resulted in several engagements later in the war. In February 1865, local resident Gen. John C. Vaughn reported that "Captain Maston, with seventy-five men from my brigade, captured the garrison at Sweetwater, forty-five miles below Knoxville, sixty mounted men, horses, equipments of Second Ohio Regiment. "The confederate troops burned the depot, but Federal troops controlled the railroad in Sweetwater until the end of the war"


This was an important transportation center during the war thanks to the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad that ran through town beginning in 1852. Military control over the railroad seesawed from one side to the other during September 1863 as armies maneuvered for control of Knoxville and Chattanooga. Confederate Gen. James Longstreet used the town and the railroad as a staging area for his campaign against Knoxville.
Type of site: Other Military Site

Address:
305 Main St
Sweetwater , TN USA
37874


Admission Charged: No Charge

Website: [Web Link]

Phone Number: Not listed

Driving Directions: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photo of a Civil War related item or scene and post one Civil War Discovery you learned while visiting the waymark. The photo should have the coordinates of where it was taken if significantly different from the waymark's coordinates.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil War Discovery Trail Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
walkingwildly visited Sweetwater Depot - Sweetwater, TN 5/10/2014 walkingwildly visited it